August 18, 2017
Line 3 Pipeline
The Minnesota Department of Commerce released its final Environmental Impact Study on the proposed Enbridge Energy Line 3 oil pipeline project. The EIS can be found here.
- Current routes pass the Fond du Lac and Leech Lake Reservations
- Current line supplies approximately 52% of demand and will require approximately 4000 excavations over 15 years to maintain.
- Using existing line will require daily transport of crude oil by 4,000 trucks or train cars through Leech Lake and Fond du Lac.
- All proposed routes pass through state forests and rivers.
- Route Alternative 3 bypasses Leech Lake and Fond du Lac Reservations and crosses the Upper Mississippi and Rum Rivers
- Route Alternative 6 bypasses Leech Lake but crosses various smaller rivers, lakes, and state forests.
A final decision on granting is expected in or around April 2018.